Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

scared

Oct 27, 2015 10:42 PM

I get scared that doctors just brush things off. Saying oh its just fibro. What if it's not this time. Like my leg muscle hurts bad. For a while now. Went to dr. Oh just fibro. But it's a new pain. Different this time. Howu ch do I push. Cause what if it just that.

Oct 28, 2015 12:48 AM

I started going in to my doctor's office once a week. I had the blame everything on fibro too. I picked one thing to focus on for me it was my spine. At one point I actually drew on my back with a sharpie showing where it hurt and how it travelled. One x-ray and 3 mri later it is not just fibro. So my advice focus on one issue, be specific about how it feels what makes it worse and better, when it started and how often it occurs. It is hard to leave the emmotion out but sticking with facts and avoid making it a complain session.

Oct 28, 2015 4:31 AM

I can relate in the sense that I've had doctors blame all of my pain on depression. It's been 22 years and I'm just getting somewhere. I know my timid personality has not helped me in this area. Now I make notes and write lists before I go to my appointments. Being prepared helps a lot. I also read an article written by a doctor that said a lot of doctors are overwhelmed by their busy schedules and it seems like it's conveyor belt medicine. She said it's very important within the first 30-60 seconds to make a human connection with your doctor and it snaps them out of that robot mentality. I have been trying this since I read the article and in the first 3 or 4 appointments with my new doctor, he has done more to find the root issues rather than just trying to treat my symptoms. So far I am very happy with him. I wish you the best of luck and pray that your doctor will listen and investigate. Blessings ✌️💜

Oct 29, 2015 4:39 AM

What do you mean by human connection

Oct 29, 2015 10:09 AM

Ilt, doctor's do this with almost everyone. It's happened to me several times. Shammagren & Anonymous made good points. Start documenting when this particular muscle hurts, what you were doing prior to, if you attempted any treatment (ointment, massage, bath soak etc), how long it hurt, character of pain (throbbing, squeezing, spasm/cramping, shooting, sharp, dull, etc). Keep documenting for 1-2 weeks then return to the doctor. If the pain worsens and/or you have any difficulty breathing or general weakness, go to an ER. They can check for a blood clot or vein reflux. With the reflux you should have edema. You're in my thoughts & prayers. 🙏🌼

Oct 29, 2015 10:12 AM

She suggested telling them a joke or taking them a balloon or cookies for him and staff. I got lucky and my first appointment with my new doctor he had recently broke his leg badly and we sat and talked about that for the first 15 minutes. Let them know you appreciate them. If able to acknowledge that we understand the pressures they are under or that they're human too. Someway for them to take their mind out of the mentality of you're just another face on they medical conveyor belt.

Oct 29, 2015 10:13 AM

Oops I didn't mean to infer all doctors are men. Lol

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community