Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Sciatica

Jul 02, 2016 12:06 PM

Has anyone else experienced extreme cramping in their leg due to sciatica?
I've had it on multiple occasions, more recently they've been while I've been sleeping and have woken me up screaming. I didn't make any connections from my spondylolisthesis until today when I thought I'd Google to see if cramping is a symptom of sciatica and it turns out it is.
If anyone else gets it mainly when they're led down, do you have any ways to try and stop it? xox

Jul 02, 2016 2:22 PM

I do stretching exercises before bed & take vitamin D. When I was young my Dad had bad leg cramps at night, he said vit D helped him.

Jul 02, 2016 5:07 PM

I lay on my back and put my legs up on a cushion. My knees have to be bent and it has to be high enough so that its at the right angle. This sometimes relieves the cramping after a while of laying there. I usually use a couch cushion. Or if you have a very nice person to massage them...that helps too. 👍

Jul 03, 2016 2:02 PM

I so understand what you're going through. About the only thing I can do is rub the cramp out, apply heat & keep my knees propped up on a pillow. It sucks when Dr won't believe how this is effecting my life. Good luck.

Jul 03, 2016 9:59 PM

Sciatica is the only pain I've had that's worse than a toothache. Seriously!

JudyLynn🌸

Jul 03, 2016 10:21 PM

I get it periodically. I do the stretching exercises & if I'm diligent, the cramps are few & far between. When necessary, I see my chiropractor.

Jul 03, 2016 10:31 PM

Luvmylabmolly... Yeah, it's a real pain in the ass!!!!! I have it from herniation of all the discs in my lumbar spine and severe lordosis. When it's back, it's running across the top of my butt, down the back of both thighs and no matter how much I try to distract myself, it doesn't work. I also have the pain wrap around the front. It hurts bad and I get stabbing pains like someone is taking an ice pick and shoving it up my vagina. I hope that you are able to get some relief. Do hot soaks in the tub work at all? How about a TENS Unit? I wish you relief in some sort of anxiety plaguing you, I hope that you can get some relief from they as well so you can have a break from the nightmare called sciatica. Sending best wishes, positive vibes, gentle {{{Hugs}}} and prayers for a better tomorrow.💕🙏🏻🌻😊

Jul 04, 2016 10:02 AM

Alwayzinpain, you definitely describe the classic sciatica. I do have to say, it took a long time to get where I am but I totally rely on my meds for relief. Never total relief, but I am grateful for what I get.
JudyLynn🌸

Jul 05, 2016 9:02 AM

Ugh, sciatica!!!!! So frustrating. All I have to say about that! Love, Terri

Jul 06, 2016 2:51 PM

Sciatica sux because it's not just the mid-low back involved. It encompasses one or both butt cheeks, the pelvic region & organs, one or both hips and thighs, and at its very worst it goes all the way to my feet. Shooting pain, cramps & spasms, throbbing, like an electric current jabbing me. Ice packs to reduce inflamed swelling in the low back, with voltaren gel for my back & calves (worst cramps), and muscle relaxers are what I use. I also elevate my feet and lay down as much as I can. Had an attack just last week and it was no picnic to get through. But thankfully after a few days it calmed way down. I realized it was laying on my side that triggered it, because it makes my SI joints cock-eyed; they are unstable anyway. Hugs & prayers you can get yours calmed down too! 🙂💕🙏🌼

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community