Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Scoliosis

May 04, 2015 12:41 AM

I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 13. I found out through the scoliosis screenings at school in the 8th grade. I have two curves. My top curve is 18 degrees and my bottom curve is 30 degrees. I had had back pain for a year before I found out about my scoliosis. When my parents and I found out I started seeing a chiropractor, he limited my activities for the summer. When school started he told me I could start cheerleading again. The next fall I went to an orthopedic doctor, he told me there was nothing they could do for me, because my growth plates were almost gone. I continued to go the the chiropractor for 2 years. This fall my pain started to come back. I couldn't tell that the chiropractor was working anymore. My Dr. Prescribed me pain medication but I hate to take it because it makes me very drowsy. My parents have taken me to other orthopedic doctors who said if I wanted rods in my back he would. I don't know if I want rods, I am 16 years old. I don't want to limit myself to what I can and cannot do. But at the point I'm tired of the pain.

May 04, 2015 1:46 AM

Dimples 16,
Do you think the rods might help?
I don't have experience with scoliosis, but I have experience with limits in what I can do.
I'm 14 right now.
Only a few weeks ago, I could not walk because of extreme pain.
The air hurt, and even when I was completely still I was nauseated from the pain.
I am walking after physical therapy, but the pain is still there.
I get exhausted by the end of my school day, which is shortened to 3 1/2 hours.
I hope something helps.
Good luck!
T

May 04, 2015 2:48 PM

Hello to all of the Scoli group. I am with you all. I had surgery for my 48 degree curve a very longtime ago. Back in 1981 they used one rod and then a body cast collarbones to hip bones for around 9 months. I did not have back pain before surgery but I did after. I saw a chiropractor several times a week and it made a huge difference for me. First of all I remained flexible and that made a huge difference for my surgeon. My surgery was less than 4 hours instead of 8 or 9 hours. The part that really sucks is the arthritis that I was left with in my back and also where they harvested bone from my hip. Times have changed and now the surgery is done with 2 rods and usually no cast. My daughter received the crappy gene from me and had to have surgery to correct it. Also the rods were stainless steel and now we know that stainless can rust inside the body! Then it can cause metallosis and then you have a new bag of worms to deal with. The new technology uses titanium, we will see how that works over time. Being in pain and facing a life changing surgery give yourself a break. You are facing very grown up problems when you should be having fun and being a teenager. The best thing I can suggest is keep your core muscles strong! It helps with reducing pain. I said reducing not eliminating. I love swimming and pilates with modified yoga. I am here and I will always find time to help in anyway that I can. I hope Harris will chime in here too.

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community