Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Shaky hands

Nov 08, 2015 12:57 AM

I have both fibro and rheumatoid arthritis. Within the past few months, my hands have started shaking every time I start doing things such as eating, plucking my eyebrows, tying shoes. Any suggestions of things that might help? There isn't any pain involved, they just shake like crazy!

Nov 08, 2015 8:52 AM

Crankypants, have you spoken to your doctor about that? Is the shaking worse when you turn your wrists in different positions? Sometimes when I do things my hands shake as well. It's usually because the nerve is being stressed but I really don't know. Flappsy has issues with tremors. Perhaps when she sees this post, she will be able to give you more insite. Sending {{{Hugs}}} and prayers that a ll is ok. 🙏🏻🌻😊

Nov 08, 2015 1:53 PM

Thanks, Alwayz! Yes, it does seem it is when my wrist is in certain positions. I haven't spoken to my rheumatologist about it. He sometimes gets hung up on things that bother me, instead of discussing the big stuff like pain and meds. 15 minutes is just not enough time to get to everything!

Nov 08, 2015 3:17 PM

May try to have a list of all u want to discuss and hand it to him. So this way he will know what to address. If u feel your doctor is not giving g u enough time u could try looking for a new one but I know how big if a hassle that can be. I feel blessed that I finally found a rheumatologist that seems to hear me. My last appointment with him ladtef two hours. I was shocked

Nov 09, 2015 3:00 PM

Crankypants, I developed tremors in my right hand in February. I have had a few episodes with both hands, or feeling like my whole body was trembling. Then I was put on tizanidine, and its mostly calmed down. I was sent to Mayo for the tremors, imbalance & dizziness. Other than finding out I have Vestibular Neuronitis causing the dizziness & imbalance, I came home still not knowing the cause of my tremors. But a stranger told me my hand shakes just like her husband's and he has essential tremors. When I'm holding my hand up off a surface you can barely see any movement at all (at rest). But as soon as I grip anything it shakes like one with Parkinson's. Mayo says I don't have MS or Parkinson's. I suspect, if it's not essential tremors, it's connected to my cervical discs. Other than resting my hands, even with use the tizanidine doesn't completely stop them. One doctor also suspects a familial tremor because my sister has it, but mines more noticeable. Using my cane, walker, or gripping a utensil or pen/pencil, the longer I use my hands the worse the tremors. Good luck at finding answers. 🙏🌼

Nov 09, 2015 5:29 PM

Flappy how do you get around? I shake when pains out of control (maybe due to meds for me) but in the end we want to function. How do you?

Nov 10, 2015 1:17 PM

Crps, I still drive but try to limit it at 30-40 minutes max at one time. My hands remote for about 15-20 min badly after I each my destination. My hubby now does most of the driving now, but I'm still a "back seat driver," not to his liking. Lol. Controlling an electric-cart or pushing a buggy, or anything I have to grasp causes the tremors, even my cane. But I do it and then let my hand rest and relax. I had to start putting my cane in my left hand though.

We went to a crafts fair Saturday & I pushed my rollator. My hand wasn't still the whole 3 hours, even when I sat down to rest. That night the whole arm started cramping up. I used my voltaren gel on my shoulder and took a muscle relaxer, and my Tizanidine (for tremors). Any time I'm grasping any object it shakes. It's almost comical when I'm trying to eat; like I'm dropping my food on purpose (off my firm or spoon) to make others laugh. I have to laugh at myself. And I've laughed with children who stare at my hand with fear. Some have backed away to hide behind their parents. I explain what I can to them and then make a joke so they laugh and aren't scared anymore.

I've tried to learn to use my left hand but it's just not working for me. I'm too discombobulated. Lol. Everything I do from drying my hair, cooking or eating, driving, writing, etc, it all causes tremors. I've just learned to accept it and do the best I can, resting when I needed to. I did go recently and have my chin length hair cut into a very short but feminine cut. I've been addressed as "mister" several times in the past when I had it short for my neck surgeries. It cut 20 minutes of getting ready, and it was well worth it. But now I have to find a scarf for when it's cold outside.

I'm very careful handling knives in the kitchen, or scissors, and I won't lift a cook pot with my right hand. Because of break ins & burglaries in our area I asked my hubby to put in an alarm system. Even though the revolver is at home for me, I don't feel too comfortable holding it now... the barrel is jerking all over the place. It reminds me of an Andy Griffith show where Barney Fife was shaking so bad holding the gun the burglar was too scared to move. So in short answer to your question, I do what I can and rest in between. What I can't do I either alternate how or ask my hubby to do it. But I've given up thinking I'll ever return to work. And my PCP confirmed it. 🙏🌼

Nov 10, 2015 1:20 PM

remote=tremor. each = reach. firm = fork.

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community