Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Spoon theory

Dec 06, 2015 3:37 PM

Has anyone else heard of this? I only heard about it recently, but it truly is the absolute best way to describe to a normie about what chronic pain and illness is like. It gives them a concrete explanation that they can grasp a LOT easier. So have you heard of it? And if so, what do you think?

Dec 06, 2015 8:48 PM

Look up the topic Spoonies!?? And you'll see most of us relate to that article, and know about it. I once used it to explain pain to my froend and her response was "oh" which actually means a lot when it comes to pain someone else had never felt. The only difference I make is showing between good days on bad, and how it might seem like I'm doing okay bit if I only have seven spoons normally, is really hard to survive. Then I gave an example of more recently, with seventeen spoons which is much easier to survive with.

Dec 06, 2015 9:00 PM

Awesome, since I just discovered it and found that it really helps a LOT, I wanted to share. I'm glad to have found it for sure because one of the things I've struggled with was trying to explain to normies why I may not look sick, but I still can't work, or do a LOT of things that they think I should be able to do. Wanted to make certainthat had this wonderful tool! πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ’•

Dec 07, 2015 2:16 AM

I have a little silver spoon badge I wear on low-spoons days; pretty much all my friends know about the spoon theory so when they see the badge they know I don’t have a lot of energy and shouldn't expect too much of me.

Dec 07, 2015 2:26 AM

I need this!!! Where did you get it???

Dec 07, 2015 6:46 AM

I've not gotten my family to read or understand this theory yey. How did you guys introduce it?

Dec 08, 2015 8:41 PM

Arkady, that's great. Where did you get your spoon badge? πŸ™πŸŒΌ

Dec 08, 2015 9:08 PM

I did the activity instead of the article, plus being at a dairy queen with time to kill helps πŸ˜‚β€

Dec 09, 2015 1:43 AM

I love it. My kids when the get home from school will say "hey Mom, how many spoons do you think you got?" So thankful

Dec 09, 2015 3:30 AM

Flappy, I got it from the site with the original article on, about *thinks* hmmm, ten years ago maybe? You could probably get one from Etsy I should think? Though I do have a load of miniature silver spoon charms, so I might have a go at making some myself (if my hands will cooperate...).

Dec 16, 2015 7:02 PM

Thanks! Ilk check that out. πŸ™‚πŸ™πŸŒΌ

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community