Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Tomorrow's the day

Apr 23, 2015 8:13 PM

Sorry guys, needed to vent again quickly. Tomorrow morning is my long-awaited follow-up appointment with my Orthopaedic surgeon. I'm going to very politely and very calmly speak my mind tomorrow. PT is NOT working as I have told anybody who cares to listen. In fact, it's making it worse session by session. I am rapidly getting frustrated with him already. They keep telling me, "if you want your back to get better, we need to do the core strengthening." In fact, just that makes me not want to go back anymore at all. I am going to medicate for the pain tonight but not in the morning. I want him to actually see what the heck is going on while I'm un medicated. Does anybody else do that or is it just me? Opinions/thoughts more then welcome.

Apr 23, 2015 8:27 PM

Well Amanda, just go to the pt and if it hurting you let the pt know because he will put it all in your report what you telling him because it wasn't helping me either but I still was complaining, and hurting until the visit ran out now he's sending me back, that's okay if it's hurt I will tell them that.

Apr 23, 2015 8:31 PM

Amanda, I hope your doctor will listen to you. Core strengthening made my neck worse but only mildly my back. I think the pt person wasn't well trained because she had someone over her. I've done other pt and it never hurt. The core training always triggered headaches, sometimes migraines. I have skipped meds because of side effects. Wishes & prayers for good results! 🙏🌼

Apr 24, 2015 5:13 AM

Shady, I have let them know multiple times that I'm still hurting but it's like my breath is wasted with it. FlapppysLady, I'm actually taking my normal everyday meds but I'm not taken any prn meds(Advil, Tylenol), anything like that this morning, mainly because it doesn't work when the pain is this intense. All I can do is just lay still.

Apr 24, 2015 8:18 AM

Said a prayer for your pain to decrease! 🙏🌼

Apr 24, 2015 8:58 AM

Well see if you can get another doctor who will listen to u that's what I had to do 2 times

Apr 24, 2015 10:43 AM

Amanda, as always, you are in my prayers. It sounds like you have a really good head on your shoulders and you have your act together. whenever I go to pain management or any other doctor having to do with my condition(s), I go un-medicated. One reason is that I won't drive that way even though it doesn't make me impaired. But... as you know, if you don't take your meds, the doctor can get a better handle on what kind of distress your body is in. I find that when I leave the doctor and get home, my pain is so over the top that my meds barely touch it and it takes more than one dose to get me under some kind of control that I can function. The day of my appointments is always a nightmare. I go this coming Monday and my anxiety level is already going up, up, up... I wish you the very best of luck and hope you get the answers you need.

Apr 24, 2015 11:15 AM

Alwayz, I actually did go un medicated this morning and I spoke up for myself. Ortho has ordered another open MRI for May 4th, but only with me begging for it. That's where we are right now.

Apr 24, 2015 9:56 PM

Amanda, May 4 will be here soon, though not soon enough for the way you feel I'm sure. Try resting as much as you can. I'll keep you in my prayers. 🙏🌼

Apr 25, 2015 5:10 AM

Everytime I see my doctor I go in medicated or at least take them at a time that they will wear off when I see them. This is for the exact same reason as you stated. I want to know all of the pain so I can tell them exactly what is wrong with me.

Apr 25, 2015 5:11 AM

Sorry..go in not*medicated

Apr 25, 2015 11:00 AM

FlappysLady, I was more then a little annoyed after that visit. He wasn't going to do another MRI at first, but I had to beg him to do that. Then he said, "I'm not rushing you to the OR. " I was thinking to myself, I didn't ask you for that. I came in simply for a follow up and to see if there were other options. I did so about doing epidural cortisone but that idea was quickly shot down. I've tried everything humanly possible but it's not getting any better. If anything, it's getting worse like I told him. Needless to say, I'll have one more appointment with him and that will be it. Going to send an email to PCP when results of MRI come back, asking for them to refer me out to a neurosurgeon at this point. I'm just tired and frustrated.

Apr 25, 2015 12:39 PM

I'd also ask for referral for a second opinion, by a different ortho doc, but go outside the area near your current one. And if you know of some specific treatment options you'd like to try, let them know. If they say something wouldn't be a good option ask them to explain why not and then ask their opinion for alternatives to what's been tried and failed.

I'm actually thinking about requesting some physical strength conditioning PT. But not core exercises. I'd like to do things that wouldn't pull and stress my head neck & upper shoulders. And I'm thinking of going to a major Ortho group outside the area for second opinion, not for surgery but for laser type removal of bone spurs and such.

Keeping you in my prayers! 🙏🌼

Apr 25, 2015 2:55 PM

That might be a good idea at this point. I've been through 2, why not just add another one to the mix.

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community