Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Voltaren gel?

Apr 13, 2016 12:46 AM

So, I had an appointment with my doctor today. Diclofenac wasn't working for me at all (lmao it constipated me), so I talked to her about it.

She wants to avoid narcoctics because I'm young and the risk of dependency is high, so we decided to try the gel. I'll be getting it tomorrow afternoon.

Those of you who've had this, did it work for you? I'm not optimistic about it.

Apr 13, 2016 2:44 PM

Lynxbun, yes it does work for me. I've been using it almost 2 years. It doesn't completely remove pain, especially if the pain is at a 8-10. But it makes it bearable. If my pain level is a 3-4 in my knees the gel makes it where I barely notice the pain. I use it all down my spine and on major joints (hips, knees, shoulders). My doc told me to use heat before applying, as it could cause a burn to my skin. I hope it works for you too! πŸ™‚πŸ’•πŸ™πŸŒΌ

Apr 15, 2016 9:47 PM

It works for me, but on a limited basis. It's better when used with other anti inflammatories. It's much cheaper than what the compounding company charges. It also depends on what kind of pain you're having. Give it a try. It may work well for you.

Apr 16, 2016 12:27 AM

My insurances won't pay for it but it just recently have a generic form that they won't pay for either. How grand!

Apr 16, 2016 3:19 AM

It works for me with limited effect but definately takes the edge off. I try and catch the pain early and use it straight after Physio.

Apr 16, 2016 3:54 PM

It works on mg joints somewhat but not always for larger areas.

Apr 16, 2016 4:55 PM

I feel bad saying this since it seems to work for everyone else that replied some. It did nothing me at all. I hope it works for you but in case it doesn't, I don't want you to feel like the only one it doesn't work for either.

Apr 16, 2016 7:41 PM

There are different strengths too. I've seen 0.1% and 1%

Apr 16, 2016 7:43 PM

It's a great topical anti-inflammatory. I've used it in the past with good relief of pain. Stopped using it during a shortage of supply.

Apr 17, 2016 5:38 AM

I don't have it yet because of insurance shenanigans. My doctor is supposed to tell them exactly what she's prescribing it for so they can figure out if they want to cover it or not.

Fun.

Apr 17, 2016 7:13 AM

This sounds ...interesting thanks for posting...can't sleep it's been forever..so just reading what ppl are being given and what is maybe something happening but st least it's some hope..there's an answer out there?? Thanks to everyone for posting and sharing!! Keep the hope & support alive. Going to ask my dr about it? & now, I'll try to sleep maybe I get lucky πŸ‘πŸ»Take care all and keep on fighting :)

Apr 17, 2016 8:31 AM

Do they have a generic for this in the U.S or just the brand?

Apr 17, 2016 11:55 AM

If it is Bone pain good luck on getting anything to work.

Apr 18, 2016 11:13 PM

Gibber, don't feel bad. Everything doesn't work the same for everyone. πŸ™‚πŸ™πŸ’•πŸŒΌ

Apr 18, 2016 11:36 PM

Just got a letter from my insurance today. They're not covering it because it doesn't fit the "needs" of my condition.

Um, okay. I guess. Whatever.

Apr 18, 2016 11:56 PM

I'm sorry Lynxbun. Insurances are using every step they can to deny coverage.

Apr 19, 2016 12:19 AM

Kamel that is my experience with bone pain too, specifically my shin bones. It feels like they could crack into pieces, when I press the inside area above my ankles and all along the bone, like someone slammed them with a bat. I've lived with it for so long but I don't understand why absolutely nothing gets to that deep deep bone pain. That was another thing I mentioned to a (very busy) Doctor last week and got absolutely zero response. Oh that's wrong, she said "feel better" and walked away. Some things give temporary relief, (acupuncture, massage) but I'd sure like to know what causes that because it's a very distressing symptom. I also get restless legs, don't know if it's related but leg pain wakes me during the night and never goes away.

Apr 20, 2016 4:49 PM

My mom had it for her back.
My dad would complain about the arthritis in his hip.

Mom would say try this med....
dad would say every night ...patty that's for muscles this is bone.
This went on night after night for about a year.(married 45 years)

Finally, in fustration my dad says okay, knowing it wouldn't do anything.

He came back to my mom 20 mins later and said patty, I hafta apologize. ..you were right it did help.

Just a cute story I wanted to share.

Apr 20, 2016 10:40 PM

Marsemouse, have you ever had X-rays of your shins? You could be dealing with shin splints. It's extremely painful. I had one ONCE and it happened when I was getting off my horse after a long ride. I swung my leg over, got down and when my feet hit the ground, I instantly got a horrendous burning feeling in my shin and then it went to bad pain. I went to the doctor and they did X-rays and he said I had a shin splint. I went to PT (which sometimes made it worse) and it finally healed. It kept me up at night as well because every time I moved, the pain would shoot up my shin and I'd be up. I don't have restless leg but I do suffer from continuous hypnogic jerks which different parts of your body jump as you're drifting into sleep or waking from sleep. It's called something else when it happens upon waking. However it can be as simple as small jerks to an arm or leg flailing to your whole body jumping. It's not a good feeling and the only way I can describe it is to be "startled" out of sleep. I hope that you can find out what you're dealing with and get some help to remedy the situation. I wish you the best. {{Hugs}}πŸ’•πŸ™πŸ»πŸŒ»

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community