Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

What should I do? Any advice?

Feb 24, 2016 6:45 PM

I have been dealing with pounding,pressing,sharp,tingiling and numbness on my back and down my legs for almost 1 1/2 years.

I go to Physio, Active Rehab and Go swimming 3x/week.

My doctor thinks its nothing serious and it's just muscle spasms!! When I know its not! My MRI report says I have a disc bulge on L4-L5 and L5 and S1.

What can I do to ge my doctor sends me to a specialist?

Feb 24, 2016 7:13 PM

If you can't get a dr to send you to one you can do research and find one in your area and make an appointment with them. Thats what my mom did when I was firsr diagnosed. But then again that was 7 years ago so maybe you can't do that any mkre

Feb 24, 2016 8:01 PM

Thank you JennaReimer! I tried calling a few places before and found out that it will cost $500-$800 for 30mins-1hr.

Feb 24, 2016 8:12 PM

It sounds like you need a new doctor this one doesn't sound like he is willing to work. Does he even acknowledge the issues on the mri? With my doctor I drew a picture on my back with sharpie of where the pain was and in which direction the pain was going. She tried a shot in my back and she knew right away it did nothing. My MRI reads more like a ling laundry list of issues. I do have 1 or 2 areas in my entire spine that are not majorly screwed. Unfortunately the specialists take a non surgical stand because fusing one spot just starts the chain reaction and you are never really good again.

Feb 25, 2016 1:05 PM

Thank you for your input Shammagren! I'm currently looking for a 2nd doctor and a specislist that can help me and tell me whats going on.

Feb 25, 2016 2:24 PM

I have the exCt same issue crazywiki. I would dare to say that in one respect, your doctor is probably right about the muscle spasm. I get intense spasms throughout my entire back and down my legs for about 1-2 weeks, every month. This is caused by 'micro movement in the degenerating discs. Diazepam helps massively for this. However, the herniated discs can be dangerous and need to be looked at properly. I have battled for 10+ yrs to get someone to do something. Surgeon said it wasn't bad enough to operate, pain management doc said the pain was in my head. This week I saw a new doctor who insisted that I need a new MRI and another referral to a surgeon. Also referred me for PT and gave me tramadol for the sciatica. I would Defo recommend that you get a second opinion. I wish you lots of luck xx

Feb 27, 2016 5:26 AM

Those disc bulges will do that. Usually disc bulges are part of degenerative disc disease. Guy sounds like a moron. I go to a spine and pain clinic for similar issues.

Feb 27, 2016 5:39 AM

My rheumie dr. Just started me on physical therapy, so now we begin. I'll have to go 8 wks of this and I am taking some yoga when I can function. All this before consult with a spine dr. $$$$$ money just pouring from my wallet

Feb 27, 2016 5:52 AM

The medical industry is terrible. It should be a human right. Or leave us alone and let us smoke balls of opium like the old days.

Feb 27, 2016 2:55 PM

I think if find another doctor. I'm like Shammagren, that this one isn't a good doc.

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community