Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

White blood cells

Oct 08, 2015 9:35 AM

Hello all, I am curious if anyone else has high white blood cell counts? Mine have been chronically high for 10-15 years. During my pregnancy in 2012 mine were in the 30 range but normally run around 15 with "normal" being between 4.0 & 11.0? I'm not sure what any of it means, every doctor I have seen, says we should keep an eye on it, yet they never do. I'm trying to be more assertive these days so I'm going to be reminding my doctor to recheck or send me to a hematologist. Any info would be greatly appreciated! ✌️❤️

Oct 08, 2015 9:41 AM

Anonymous, my white count has also been high for several years. The way it was explained to me was that when your SED Rate is up and a lot of inflammation is present, your white cell count will rise because your body is trying to fight off what is causing the problem. Perhaps the doctor is keeping an eye on it and is not concerned because it's not gone up any. If you feel more comfortable, tell your doctor that you want to be certain and to send you to a hematologist. If your insurance is a PPO and not an HMO, you can just make an appointment and go because you don't need referrals. I hope that I've been able to settle your worries and make you feel more assured. I'm always here when you need me!! {{{{Hugs}}}} 🌻🙏🏻

Oct 08, 2015 9:47 AM

Thank you very much Alwayz, I am on Medicare and I know I don't need a referral, yet many doctors won't accept me without a referral. They say that even though Medicare doesn't require, they often won't pay the bill because no referral haha 😂 I am going to ask my doc this morning for a referral to a hematologist. I wonder if edema in the spine could cause this? Hmm I guess I shall find out.

Oct 08, 2015 9:55 AM

It's very possible!! Edema is not a normal thing within your body and therefore makes sense that your body would fight it. I'm sure you're fine. I hope the doctor gives you what you need. Hang in there. I'll be thinking of you and waiting for an update. By the way, Medicare is federally funded. The doctor HAS to accept you with no referral if they accept Medicare patients. Their problem isn't that they don't pay, it's that they don't pay what they want them to!! I worked in health and life insurance before I could no longer work and am still a licensed NYS Life Insurance Agent. I don't do anything with it but I worked hard to get it so I keep it current. It keeps me up to date on the regulations and new plans, etc.

Oct 08, 2015 7:10 PM

I have a high number of white blood cells, I don't remember the number, and the doc said "we should watch this" then never did another blood test.

Oct 08, 2015 8:02 PM

Same here ferretbandit, I don't think they remember. I think this is an area where we have to advocate for ourselves. ✌️❤️

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community